Saturday, April 4, 2009

"If they're running and don't look where they're going, I have to come out from somewhere and catch them."

Over at Jezebel.com, there's a blog post/commentary about the strange pilgrimmages some people take to get J.D. Salinger to talk.

It's definitely weird and not something I had ever thought about before. I remember the first time I read J.D. Slinger was in my reading/writing about literature class a couple years ago, and our teacher warned us that Salinger's writing may not be for everyone; some people love him, some people don't. It's mostly because his writing is more about conversation and character than action or plot. Sometimes it's hard to even tell what the plot is, especially in his short stories.

I actually enjoyed his work so much, it inspired me to start reading the classics I never read in high school, starting with Catcher in the Rye. As for that book, I. LOVED. IT. I even incorporated it into a self-portrait I had to draw for an art project made entirely of text, where my hair is all excerpts from Catcher in the Rye.

Anyway, I knew J.D. Salinger is a recluse, and he has been for many, many years. But I never realized there was this weird tradition of reporters and fans trying to break his silence by getting him to talk with them. It makes me feel bad for the poor guy!

But before I end this post, I'll have to include a comment that someone left on Jezebel that makes me laugh so hard:


If I were Salinger, I would probably set up a highly intricate and highly dangerous obstacle course to get to my house--barbed wire, snake pit, pool of lava, wall spikes, the works--and then have locked door and a sign saying, "THAT WILL TEACH YOU; GO AWAY" at the finish line. But that would probably just get even more notoriety...

1 comment:

  1. Writer Joyce Maynard (To Die For, millions of women's magazine articles) had an affair for a couple of years when she was right out of high school, if I remember correctly. There was a lot of controversy surrounding a book she did about it.

    Here it is:

    http://www.joycemaynard.com/books-jmaynard/ahitw-self-interview.shtml

    ReplyDelete